Promoting Equality and Diversity
Cambridge Meridian Academies Trust (CMAT) exists to provide high-quality education for all at the heart of the community. We deliver this through our comprehensive admissions policy and our commitment to providing high-quality education to all, regardless of background or circumstances. Our continued dedication to social justice and equality of opportunity is embodied in the philosophy of all CMAT schools:
- Achievement for all
- Valuing People
- A high quality learning environment
- The pursuit of excellence
- Extending the boundaries of learning
Where every child is a:
- Successful Learner who enjoys learning, makes progress and achieves
- Confident Individual who is able to live a safe, healthy and fulfilling life
- Responsible and Employable Citizen who makes a positive contribution to the communities in which they live.
Where the school is a:
- Hub for community activities and a place where people of all ages meet and integrate
- Centre for extended services for children, families and the community
- Source of immense pride for the whole community
Our purpose and values ensure that equality and diversity are at the heart of everything we do:
Every member of our community is known, valued and supported to achieve in all areas at the highest level to become successful, confident and responsible for the pursuit of lifelong learning.
Each day at Stamford Welland Academy, we will live out our values by:
- Providing aspiration for all through high-quality teaching and learning and experiences
- Demonstrating integrity in everything we do
- Embracing responsibility through teamwork and strong leadership
- Showing understanding of all in every situation
- Encouraging all to show resilience in challenging circumstance
So that we are creating an inclusive school community and a society where:
- People are treated with dignity and respect
- Inequalities are challenged
- We anticipate, and respond positively to, different needs and circumstances so that everyone can achieve at the highest level
Our equality and diversity principles
The Public Sector Equality Duty 2011 has three aims under the general duty for academies and settings:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act. By removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
- Advance Equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic. By taking steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. By encouraging people from protected groups to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
At Stamford Welland Academy, we value diversity and we recognise that different people bring different perspectives, ideas, knowledge and culture, and that this difference brings great strength.
We believe that discrimination or exclusion based on individual characteristics and circumstances, such as:
- caring or dependency responsibilities;
- gender or gender identity;
- marriage and civil partnership status;
- political opinion;
- pregnancy and maternity;
- race, colour, caste, nationality, ethnic or national origin;
- religion or belief;
- sexual orientation;
- socio-economic background;
- trade union membership status;
- or other distinctions
represents a waste of talent and a denial of opportunity for achievement and success.
- We recognise that patterns of under-representation and differences in outcomes at Stamford Welland Academy can be challenged through positive action programmes.
- We respect the rights of individuals, including the right to hold different views and beliefs. We will not allow these differences to be manifested in a way that is hostile or degrading to others.
- We expect commitment and involvement from all our staff, students, families, community partners and providers of goods and services in working towards the achievement of our vision for equality and diversity.
At Stamford Welland Academy we want to promote Equality and Diversity through our objectives:
- To ensure that identified gender plays no role in limiting the opportunities for students in all areas of the curriculum and wider school life;
- To further develop the understanding of staff, students, parents and other members of the community regarding different races and customs;
- To raise staff awareness of the Equalities Duty and the part that each of us plays
- To ensure that disadvantaged groups of students achieve in line with their peers.
Forums for students, staff and parents have been established. Each has the focus of welfare including the equality and diversity duty as one of the main areas of its work. Through these forum, the academy consults with and involves those affected by inequality in the decisions the academy takes to promote equality and eliminate all forms of discrimination.
The academy maintains good relations and consults with the trades union, locally and regionally on matters of equality and diversity and nationally through CMAT’s Joint Consultation and Negotiation Committee (JCNC). CMAT’s agreed Equality and Diversity Policy can be found here.
All students and staff receive appropriate training in the protected characteristics and how to raise a concern or make a complaint about discrimination.
Surveys that cover aspects of the equality and diversity duty are conducted annually with the students and biennially with the staff.